The People with Disability Care Office
This office focuses its efforts mainly on the right to education, particularly higher education for people with disabilities, since providing them with education will pave the road for a great change in their lives.
The People with Disability Care Office at An-Najah National University is one of many offices and facilities established for making students' lives easy, active and full of energy. The office was established to make the lives of students with disability more active and integrated with the society of the University.
The office offer services for people with disabilities:
- Providing the people with disabilities with education and training.
- Enabling those people to achieve economical independence by providing them with job opportunities.
- Contributing to their integration into their society and to become an effective member within their environment.
In Palestine, the number of people with disabilities is continuously increasing due to the following reasons:
- The direct and indirect injuries caused by the Israeli occupation which has resulted in many Palestinians being disabled.
- The absence of proper medical care.
- The absence of parental awareness and the lack of early detection procedures.
- The majority of people who are planning for marriage do not carry out premarital examinations.
- The increase in endogamy within the Palestinian society.
- Traffic accidents and work injuries.
- Other reasons.
There are more than 150,000 documented cases of people with disabilities in Palestine, and there are large numbers of mental disabilities still undocumented.
This Office focuses its efforts mainly on the right to education, particularly higher education, for this group of people since providing them with education will pave the road for a great change in their lives.