You are here

I have a lot of obstacles teaching in Japan. Except for well-motivated students who are double ‎schooling, most of them can find no enthusiasm for what they are encountering every day. During ‎the trip, I wanted to see how people in hard conditions try to learn at school.‎

By: Kenta Ynoue

First of all, I was enrolled in the icebreaking workshop. Preparing two hours of training each day ‎was not an easy task but it was an ideal opportunity to try activities that I used at my school in ‎Japan and learn how teachers from other countries teach. It was helpful that four internationals ‎including me were in the same room. Because of that, we were able to discuss the materials ‎beforehand and take a look at them from many points of view. Students were so enthusiastic about ‎learning English. In our workshop, we played some games and did activities to make students ‎comfortable. It seemed they knew the necessity of practicing English.‎

When it comes to safety, it was a safe, reliable and secure trip. Local students escorted us ‎everywhere and translate our languages. Even on the weekends, they made enjoyable schedules for ‎us.‎

Furthermore, when we had a Wi-Fi problem in the flat, they came to fix the issue regardless of the ‎time. Thanks to that, we had a comfortable internet-connected environment throughout the camp.  ‎The accommodation was great. Four of us stayed in the same flat and each of us had our own room.  ‎The biggest security problems I faced in this trip was my personal mistake of where to keep the ‎luggage on the field trip.‎

I had heard that Hebron is one of the most disputed places in Palestine. Small amounts of Jewish ‎people live among the Palestinian majority. I saw random restricted areas divided by wires in the ‎middle of the old city. Those are the places where the largest displacement by the Israeli ‎government occurred. There was a moment when the internationals and locals had to take different ‎paths.  Then we mistakenly went out from the wrong exit.  That brought us a necessity of going ‎back to the restricted area through a checkpoint. Passing the gate was an unforgettable moment. ‎Israeli soldiers took each of us for about five minutes of interrogation. It took one hour in total for ‎all to be completed. I experienced how discouraging it is to face checkpoints in corners of Palestine.‎

It was a disheartening moment for me to face the fact that the refugee camp, which I visited, was ‎not the biggest and that there are still 18 more in the West Bank. The tenements are hardly ‎insulated and that brings people no sense of privacy. I hope one day they will enjoy the right of ‎having a tidy environment.‎

It was a precious experience to spend time with people enthusiastic about making something good ‎for somebody.  What I learned was, not only the history of Palestine in detail, but also the ‎heartwarming personalities and strong will of its people, to learn and gain every single drop of ‎essence of something new.‎

Read 72 times

© 2018 An-Najah National University