جامعة النجاح الوطنية
An-Najah National University

You are here

Participation in extracurricular activities and spending time volunteering during my ‎university life was an important factor for my personal development at all levels. It ‎increased my social skills, helped me building new relationships, and made me more ‎comfortable to adapt in a variety of situations. Thus, improving my morals, ‎character, and professionalism.‎

By: Sarah Abu Hijleh

In the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Volunteers initiative and the ‎revival of the World Heritage program, I went to Bahrain as a volunteer after I got ‎accepted to participate in the Heritage Conservation Program's activities in Bahrain ‎which was announced about by the International Youth Exchange Program (Zajel) ‎of An-Najah's Public Relations Department.‎

I decided to share my travel experience because I believe that students who are ‎involved in extracurricular and volunteer activities benefit in three ways: improving ‎life skills, responsibility, and leadership.‎

Our trip program included several cultural, educational and leisure activities. The ‎trip started with visiting a cultural exhibition of heritage objects through which each ‎international participant put on display several objects that are famous in his/her ‎country, the objects were carefully chosen and placed together to offer an ‎educational value, and often to tell a story.‎

The trip included a visit to Qal’at al-Bahrain which was discovered by the ‎Portuguese, and we were invited by archeologists to take part in archaeology ‎excavations and activities in one of the most historically significant places in ‎Bahrain.‎

To learn about the history, culture and customs of Bahrain, we visited several ‎religious sites including the Al-Fateh Mosque, the largest mosque and place of ‎worship in Bahrain, as well as numerous historical and cultural places in the ‎kingdom of Bahrain.‎

My journey to Bahrain has taught me a lot and I've come out of my shell.  Before my ‎visit, all I knew was my family, my friends, and my life. Once you step out to meet ‎people, and get acquainted with different cultures in an unfamiliar country – you ‎learn a lot about yourself and the world around you.‎

During my ten-day journey, I was able to leave my comfort zone, and my safe place ‎as well as experience new things. It was not easy, but definitely worth it.‎

Read 1002 times

© 2024 An-Najah National University