جامعة النجاح الوطنية
An-Najah National University

You are here

‎Before arriving in the Holy Land, I didn’t know what to expect, and I had no idea ‎what was going to happen. I was a little bit worried, but one thing is certain, I never ‎thought that ‘Light a Candle’ would be the most wonderful human experience of my ‎life. Despite all the good feedback that I already had about the Palestinian people, I ‎never imagined that I would meet the most honorable, courageous, brave and ‎generous of all the people I have known until now.

By: Elias Jafer

‎During these two weeks, we saw the hard reality of Palestinian daily life, the Israeli ‎military ‎occupation, the settlements, the checkpoints, the presence of armed settlers, ‎and the pervasive ‎humiliation that the Palestinian people have to face. Every day was a ‎new life lesson, and a new ‎experience. It was sobering, and has completely changed our ‎vision of the conflict. Every single ‎day, without exception, was rich in emotion – ‎feelings that have completely changed the way we ‎see things, and which have greatly ‎strengthened and opened our minds. The moments that ‎particularly effected me were ‎the trips to Qalqilya and Hebron. Qalqilya, where our Palestinian ‎friends had to take a ‎different line to ours, reminded us that apartheid still exists today. In Hebron, ‎a ‎Palestinian city known for being at the centre of the occupation, we saw misery and ‎children who ‎suffer. We saw the settlements within the city walls, and the increasingly ‎violent and arrogant ‎settlers.‎

‎Without the Zajel Youth Exchange, I would never have met these fantastic ‎Palestinian people. The camp was supported by a wonderful team of locals, They all did ‎an outstanding job during our stay, and proved to us once again how honourable the ‎Palestinian people are.

‎The workshops were also a great feature of this trip. Giving lectures to Palestinian ‎students, supervised by a responsible class helper (for translation, and the smooth ‎running of course), enabled us to exchange our knowledge in a particular field whilst ‎also gaining an immense amount of life lessons from the Palestinian students. In this ‎way, we really got to know their culture, and became totally immersed in Palestinian ‎life.

‎The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is one of the oldest conflicts in the world, subject to ‎much controversy and many debates. The reality is very far from what we are shown ‎on news channels. For anyone interested in visiting Palestine and taking part in Zajel, ‎there is no doubt that you will have all your questions answered. You will see the ‎reality of the conflict. And most importantly, you will completely fall in love with one ‎of the greatest and most valiant peoples in the whole world.‎

Read 170 times

© 2024 An-Najah National University