جامعة النجاح الوطنية
An-Najah National University

You are here

Before my arrival in Palestine, I was very nervous about what I would see and experience. ‎My friends and family were apprehensive too, and some were unsure as to why I wanted to ‎travel to a ‘dangerous’ and militarised area. ‎Rebecca Carpenter

By: Rebecca Carpenter

These feelings of uncertainty can largely be attributed to the media’s interpretation of ‎Palestine, and the completely negative picture media outlets paint of life here. Of course, life ‎under Israeli occupation is a struggle for the elderly and the young alike – and Zajel has ‎opened my eyes to the hardships and complications endured by ordinary people on a daily ‎basis. However, what the global media misses is the hospitality; the love; the hope; and the ‎prospects for change that exist within Palestinian society. Life in Palestine is so much more ‎than the conflict that many of us hear about, and this is something that the Zajel Youth ‎Exchange aims to promote to its guests.‎

The project really lived up to its name – it truly is a cultural exchange. I had the pleasure of ‎meeting and living with internationals from France, Italy, Spain, Bosnia, Canada, the UK, ‎and the US. We shared every meal together for two weeks, and we became incredibly close ‎friends during the camp. As a group, our main reason for taking part in Zajel was to learn ‎about and to experience Palestinian culture – and this aim was certainly fulfilled. The ‎programme was unique every day, with a new village to be visited and a new food to be tried. ‎The Palestinian students that volunteered their time to help us and accommodate us were so ‎kind and caring, and I learnt so much from them about Palestine. Their assistance and support ‎made the two weeks incredibly special and rewarding. It was also eye-opening to hear their ‎personal stories of life under Israeli occupation. I will always remember those narratives, as ‎they have really touched my heart. I’m so astonished and shocked at how resilient these ‎young people are. In spite of everything that they face and endure – checkpoints, aggression, ‎discrimination, and home demolition – they are still eager to thrive in their studies or in their ‎employment. Their outlook on life and their positivity is truly inspirational.‎

The two weeks spent in Palestine with Zajel have truly changed my perspective on ‎international politics and on the situation here in the West Bank. As a Politics and IR student, ‎this new way of thinking will be truly beneficial to me in my studies and in any future career. ‎So many people accept half-truths about the situation here and don’t question the negativity ‎produced by the media, and before Zajel I was probably one of them. So I am ‎overwhelmingly thankful to Zajel for altering my mind-set. In relation to this, the most eye-‎opening aspect of the summer camp was our visit to Rawabi city near Ramallah. Rawabi is a ‎newly constructed city, built and designed almost exclusively by Palestinians. Eventually it ‎will house up to 40,000 Palestinians in an innovative and beautiful environment. The ‎Palestinian flags waving high above Rawabi filled my heart with hope and happiness. Rawabi ‎is an example of Palestine at its best – flourishing peacefully and gracefully in spite of ‎massive challenges imposed by the Israeli occupation.

I will never ever forget my time in Palestine, and I’m eager to return in the future. The ‎memories that were made here are engraved in my heart and soul, and the stories of resilience ‎will continue to inspire me each and every day. It’s hard to find a way to thank Zajel for this ‎opportunity, but I hope that my continued solidarity with Palestine will be enough. There is so ‎much work to do in the international community to raise awareness about Palestine and its ‎hopes and dreams – and if I can be a small part of that movement, then I will be happy.

Read 280 times

© 2024 An-Najah National University