PhD position: Formal methods in control (Munich, Germany)
University of the Armed Forces Munich, Germany invite applications for a doctoral researcher position in the field of formal methods in control. The successful candidate is expected to advance theory of as well as computational methods for abstraction based controller synthesis, to a degree that facilitates routine, fully automated, practical application of the approach to nonlinear continuous-state plants and complex specifications.The focus is on synthesis algorithms that are both efficient and formally correct.
The project involves theoretical work, algorithm and software development, and, on a small scale, experimental work. There is no teaching requirement and no coursework to be completed. Competitive salary is offered according to the tariff ``TVOeD Bund, E 13''.
- MSc degree (or equivalent, giving access to doctoral studies) in Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related field. Students about to complete their MSc will also be considered.
- Excellent academic record, showing a strong theoretical/mathematical background and a strong interest in dynamical systems.
- Proficiency in programming (C or Ada/SPARK).
- Excellent communication skills in English (CEFR level C1).
In addition, experience in one of the following fields would be a plus: Set-valued or validated numerics; dynamic programming; formal methods in control; reactive synthesis; professional-grade software development.
Your complete application consists of the following documents, which should be sent as a single PDF file to the email address given below (deadline: Feb 15, 2017):
- CV with photo
- One-page cover letter (clearly indicating available start date as well as relevant qualifications, experience and motivation)
- University certificates and transcripts (both BSc and MSc degrees)
- Contact details of up to three referees
- Possibly an English language certificate and a list of publications
All documents should be in English, with the exception of university certificates and transcripts, which may also be in German. The position is open to applicants worldwide; no special security clearance necessary.
Priv.-Doz. Dr. habil. Gunther Reissig
Email: [email protected], Subject: PhD ref 1777
University of the Armed Forces Munich, Germany
Department of Aerospace Engineering
Institute of Control Engineering