An-Najah National University’s Women’s Studies Graduate Program and the Office of International Development and External Affairs is pleased to announce the call for abstracts and presentation proposals for the upcoming conference ‘Women Between Patriarchy and Colonialism: Women’s Experiences in a Colonial Context’ on April 15th and 16th, 2019.
This conference will bring together both activism and research to reflect on women’s strategies to survive everyday life in a colonial context.
The conference will showcase conceptual, theoretical and empirical research that explore the experience of women in conflict areas. Prevailing discourses, ideologies, politics, social practices and trends within these societies will be analyzed through a gendered lens. Utilizing an interdisciplinary approach, the conference will incorporate research papers and practical case studies in a variety of fields including sociology, anthropology, political science, media and gender studies.
The conference will strive to amplify women’s experiences of militarization, refugee status, political participation, economic empowerment, and violence both regionally and globally.
Abstracts and presentation proposals will be accepted for the following topics related to women under colonialism and occupation:
- Women’s Political Participation
- Women’s Social and Health Conditions
- Women’s Roles in Security and Peacemaking
- Women’s Economic Participation
- Women’s Entrepreneurship
- Women’s Experiences as Refugees
- The Role of Civil Society in Motivating Women’s Participation
- Women’s Strategies to Preserve Memories
- Women Between Religious Ideologies and Secular Ideologies
- Women Between International Conventions and Local Legislations
- Gender-Based Violence
- Any other topic that serve issues related to gender under colonialism and occupation
Abstracts and presentation proposals can be submitted in either Arabic or English, and should be no longer than 450 words. Send your abstract and short biography to [email protected]
- Deadline for abstract submission: December 6th, 2018
- Date of notification of acceptance by: January 7th, 2019
- Full Paper by March 15th, 2019
- Deadline for conference registration: 30th of March, 2019
- Conference dates: April 15th and 16th, 2019
For any inquiries regarding the conference, please contact: [email protected]