This program will introduce students to many of the recent developments in the field of clinical biochemistry which will strengthen their scientific knowledge. Discussions on many debatable issues in the field clinical biochemistry will be held in order to enhance the students’ critical and analytical abilities. Also, the program will provide students with the necessary skills to access, analyze, summarize and present a scientific article of interest. Because of the importance of the practical aspects of this program, students will train with the laboratory team at An-Najah National University Hospital. As a part of the student assessment process, students will have to demonstrate their acquired knowledge and new skills by presenting seminars on selected topics. Finally, this program will provide students with the abilities needed to engage in leadership tasks and achieve promotions to the higher administrative levels (comprehensive examination track) or to participate in scientific research by selecting a research topic and then conducting a research study which will prepare them for future doctoral studies (thesis track)
The program aims to:
- Meet the needs of the Palestinian healthcare market for clinical biochemistry specialists with a high level of excellence
- Promote the health and medical services provided in the Palestinian health sector
- Provide an up-to-date educational program dealing with the important and cutting-edge topics in the field of clinical biochemistry (e.g. cardiovascular diseases, oncology, etc.) on both the diagnostic and research fronts.
- Enable clinical biochemists to develop and apply their acquired state-of-the-art knowledge.
- Train students from non-medical disciplines in the basis of clinical biochemistry.
- Establish research projects in the field of clinical biochemistry and related clinical disciplines, which address the needs of Palestinian society.
- Prepare students with the necessary skills and knowledge to perform, for example doctoral studies or leadership tasks, and achieve promotions to higher administrative levels.
An-Najah National University has established this program in line with its policy and future vision to promote medical education and research in Palestine. This new program will enrich the medical professions, the health care system and medical education. It will also open up new horizons for postgraduate studies and scientific research in the field of biomedical sciences, emphasizing the university's leading position and its originality in medical education and scientific research
With the current great technical and scientific progress in the field of clinical biochemistry, it is clear that there is a constant need to update the capabilities of laboratory workers in this field by providing them with the latest knowledge and state-of-the-art skills. This will enable them to keep up with modern technologies and to apply the newly acquired knowledge in their laboratories and thus provide excellent medical services. Also, the population growth and the consequent need to expand medical services are important reasons to train new specialists in clinical biochemistry. Because of its commitment to modernization and its role in serving the Palestinian community, An Najah National University has launched the Master of Science in Clinical Biochemistry program.
Teaching and Learning
An Najah National University, in association with Najah National University Hospital, provides the necessary infrastructure and facilities which include lecture rooms, laboratories, advanced equipment and technology that are needed to teach advanced (graduate level) Clinical Biochemistry. Methods in teaching include: theoretical lectures, panel discussions, hands-on laboratory training, case studies in clinical biochemistry, homework assignments, writing reports, writing scientific reviews, writing and execution of research projects, and student work presentations
Coursework and Assessment
The assessment is comprised of written examinations that include the mid-term exam (or first and second exam as required by each course) plus a final theoretical exam. Exams may contain objective questions or essay questions or both. Depending on the nature of each course, there may be a practical examination or an oral examination. Also, students have to demonstrate their acquired knowledge and new skills by presenting seminars on selected subjects or conducting research studies and presenting their work, results and reports that will be evaluated by the course lecturer or by a committee of examiners