To become a Centre of Excellence where knowledge management delivers proper mechanisms for all stakeholders in the Energy and Sustainable Development field by providing energy solutions thus working towards greater adaptation and penetration of RETs (Renewable Energy Technologies) and efficient use of energy in Palestine.
To be the institution of choice for research, training and consultancy in energy and energy efficiency in Palestine.
To find solutions to national and global energy and energy-related problems by collaborating local and international agencies, energy businesses, technology developers and suppliers, the research community and academic institutions.
The Energy Research Center accomplishes this mission through its continued commitment to innovative research and development, while recognizing the important link between energy and the environment. The Center brings together faculty and professional staff within An-Najah University to conduct research, foster partnerships between government and industry, provide funding, research and educational opportunities to university graduate and undergraduate students, and promote international research collaboration.
- To initiate a foundation for energy research that facilitates the development of knowledge, application and expertise in the diverse energy fields. This is done through lectures, training and study projects.
- To conduct scientific research studies and experiments in the various conventional and renewable energy fields, the results of which are provided for public and private institutions that may benefit from assistance in development projects.
- Co-ordination and co-operation with all Palestinian authorities, local universities, industries, and other parties interested in the application, research, and development of conventional and renewable energy systems, and global environmental issues.
- To promote the utilization of available energy resources and energy efficiency. In particular, this refers to renewable energy in feasible projects necessary for socio-economic development.
- To increase public awareness on the best use of energy, energy conservation and on the feasible renewable energy applications specifically appropriate for rural development.
- To provide professional consultations to local institutions and to conduct projects in the various energy sectors. The ERC also endeavours to provide quality education at the Master’s level in the fields of energy efficiency and clean energy. Additionally, the ERC provides ongoing training for the graduates, specialists and professionals currently working in energy related sectors.
- To build strong, scientific relationships with Arab and international centers concerned with energy studies.
- To facilitate technology transfers.
The research team at the ERC consists of highly-accredited and specialized experts from various related fields, most of whom are professors at the University. The team's experience is diverse and covers most areas of electric power systems, energy management, energy efficiency, renewable energy and the global environment.
The center staff were associated with the following training programmes:
- Energy Efficiency.
- Global Environment.
- Electric Power Systems.
- Energy Storage.
- Data Monitoring and Collection.
- Solar Thermal.
- Wind Energy.
- Mini- and micro-hydropower plants.
- Waste and energy.
- Biogas production (digester design and construction).
- Hybrid power systems.
- Diesel generators.
- Oil shale.
The energy research centre is the coordinator for STEP project (Strengthening University-Enterprise Linkages in Palestine).
STEP is aims to contribute to the socio-economic development in Palestine by strengthening linkages between universities and enterprises in terms of cooperation and partnerships.
- Creation of a nation-wide university-enterprise Network in Palestine as a well-founded dialogue platform for the sharing of experiences and good practice in university-enterprise cooperation.
- Capacity building for Palestinian universities from the West Bank and the Gaza Strip regarding managerial and strategic thinking to set up stronger and solid relations with local enterprises.
- Establishment and implementation of specialized Industry Liaison Offices (ILOs) to reinforce universities-enterprises collaboration at 5 Palestinian HEls from the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.
The center receives financial support from An-Najah National University, as well as from the following sources:
- Project Budgets.
- Consultation fees.
- An-Najah National University.
- Training fees.
- Fees for special services and data.
- Authorities and NGOs working in the energy and environmental sectors.
- Palestinian Energy Authority (PEA).
- Ministry of Industry.
- Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics.
- Palestinian Meteorological Office.
- Palestinian Agricultural Relief Committees (P.A.R.C).
- All Palestinian Universities
- Several Arabian and International Universities.
- Several neighbouring countries and overseas.