An-Najah National University Sustainability Plan is the University’s roadmap for building and operating a healthier, more sustainable campus community.
- Increasing the production capacity of solar cells at the university to reach 25% of consumption by 2025.
- Gradual replacement of all fluorescent lamps, regular lamps and spotlights with LED lamps, so that they will be completely replaced by 2030.
- Designing new buildings to be a green building according to the green building guidelines in Palestine.
- Using Occupancy sensors to turn off all lamps and fans in halls and offices when they are not working or empty of students and employees.
- Purchase of high-efficiency and energy-saving appliances and equipment with an official certificate of efficiency A+.
- Covering open car parks with solar cell shades.
- Providing systems for monitoring energy consumption in all university buildings to determine consumption in each building.
- Providing tanks to collect rainwater from the roofs of buildings in every university campus and use it to irrigate crops, fire systems and toilets
- The gradual replacement of all WC's toilet seats with Dual Flush toilets to reduce water consumption.
- Use of faucets equipped with electronic sensors in any new bathrooms or bathrooms that are maintained at the university.
- Install water consumption monitoring devices in buildings and monitor any leakage in water lines.
- Putting small filters to rationalize consumption on all taps in the university.
- Reducing the amount of waste generated by the university by 10% annually.
- Increasing the university's green areas on every campus and focusing on planting trees and plants that require small amounts of water for irrigation.
- Grow plants with large and high shade to provide shading for cars and students.
- Reducing the parking space by creating a two-story car park that fulfills the green parking conditions with shading, ventilation and lighting.
To deliver sustainability research solutions, we will:
- Undertake substantial sustainability research to deliver solutions to the world's most pressing sustainability problems.
- Facilitate internal communications and enhance internal research interaction for sustainability.
- Promote sustainability research and increase the impact of sustainability research through international cooperation with research institutions that support the achievement of sustainable development goals.
- Supporting and funding the ideas for sustainable development research projects.
To become a sustainable education provider, we will:
- Provide education for sustainable development.
- Develop the education potential for sustainable development by enriching learning across the formal and non-formal curriculum.
- Promote and advance education for sustainable development research in relation to enhancing the student and staff experience and building a more sustainable university.
- Advance and articulate the central role of education and learning in furthering the University's cross-institutional sustainability agenda - and in relation to our sustainability leadership and profile in the Higher Education sector.
To contribute to the SDGs through organizational governance, we will:
- Align university governance structures and operational policies with the aims of attaining the SDGs
- Identify and address any key gap in the university in a response to the SDGs
- Map how high-level university strategies, policies, plans and reporting indicators align with the SDGs and identify which organizational units are relevant to specific SDGs
To achieve the SDGs through external leadership, we will:
- Strengthen public engagement and participation in addressing the SDGs
- Initiate and facilitate cross-sectoral dialogue and action on SDG implementation
- Play a lead role in policy development and advocacy for sustainable development
- Demonstrate the importance of the university in SDG implementation
- Demonstrate the commitment of a university to the SDGs