An-Najah BioSciences Unit (NBU)
The Palestinian pharmaceutical industry has recently witnessed a remarkable development in all manufacturing and technical fields through the quality of the manufactured products in Palestine and keeping up with the international quality standards. Nowadays, most of the dispensed drugs in Palestine are manufactured by local companies. The pharmaceutical companies are requested to perform bioequivalence studies (BE) for each new generic drug to be licensed, which are used to be done by contract centers in the neighboring countries with high costs that put a significant financial burden on the Palestinian pharmaceutical manufacturers and limits their capacity to register new generic drugs that could improve the medical care of the Palestinian community. Therefore, the establishment of a BE center in Palestine has become a must.
Moreover, An-Najah National University (NNU), which is the biggest university in Palestine has tremendous infrastructure and facilities. In addition, it has a number of academic staff who are well-qualified, experienced, and are active in outstanding medical research, however, their participation in clinical research was very limited due to the absence of a legal platform. Accordingly, in 2019, An-Najah National University took the initiative and established the NBU to be the first (and currently the only) licensed Contract Research Organization (CRO) in Palestine for performing clinical trials and bioequivalence/bioavailability/Pharmacokinetic studies.NBU Organization Chart
NBU strives to be a lead full-service CRO that partners with the lead pioneering international and local pharmaceutical companies.
The establishment of the NBU constitutes a major part of the commitment of the University, as a nonprofit organization, to be engaged in the international efforts to advance medical care through partnerships with the lead Pharmaceutical companies within its capacity to conduct several types of clinical trials. The NBU also serves as a center for clinical research activities that support the aspirations of the clinical researchers at the NNU.
- Collaborating to conduct clinical research for the local, regional and international pharmaceutical industry
- Providing bioequivalence studies, Pharmacokinetic studies, and medical evaluations for local pharmaceutical industries according to the requirements and standards of the WHO, FDA, EMA, and the local regulations
- Supporting the medical/pharmaceutical research at the faculties of Medicine and Pharmacy in Palestine
- Performing calibration, toxicity, and drug efficacy studies/services
- Providing reference methods of drug analysis and validation of methods
- Offering various services, consulting, and training