Poison Control and Drug Information Unit
The Poison Control and Drug Information Unit is a specialized unit providing information on poisoning, in principle to the whole community. Its main functions are the provision of toxicological information and advice, management of poisoning cases, toxicovigilance activities, research, and education and training in the prevention and treatment of poisoning.
The major role of the PCDI Unit is to provide the health and civil sectors with information and advices on poisons, poisonings treatment, collection of statistics and data on poisoning, research and training on poisoning prevention and treatment methods, as well as training on contingency plans in case of environmental disasters, control of drug side effects, and avoidance of substance abuse and smoking.
- Oct. 25, 2020, 2:09 p.m.The UNESCO Chair for Democracy, Human Rights and Peace and the Faculty of Law participate in a workshop about promoting the culture of human rights and gender
- Oct. 12, 2020, 9:25 a.m.An-Najah’s Energy Research Center Participates in a Conference about the Economic Feasibility of Renewable Energy
- Oct. 1, 2020, 3:33 p.m.An-Najah's Community Service Center Organizes a Community Activity for Elderly People
- Sept. 7, 2020, 1:43 p.m.An-Najah National University; a proper and friendly environment for students with disabilities
In 2006 and by steps-confident, the tremendous endeavors of highly-qualified Academic Staff at An-Najah National University to establish a unique center to deal with poisoning situations and provide consultation for correct diagnosis and cases management came to light when An-Najah National University established “The Poison Control and Drug Information Center (PCDIC)”.
This distinguished community service-providing center has been working on assisting Palestinian, both medical staff and public, to manage poisoned cases, prevent poisoning and educate the public concerning poisonous materials and how to handle them.
To advance the PCDIC role in providing toxicological information support to the advanced analytical centers, PCDIC has been acceded to Analytical, Poison Control and Calibration Center (APCC) (formerly “Chemical, Biological and Drug Analysis Center”) and became one of its effective units “Poison Control and Drug Information Unit (PCDI)”.
We are a specialized unit in providing information on poisoning, in principle to the whole community.
Our main functions are the provision of toxicological information and advice, management of poisoning cases, Toxicovigilance activities, research, and education and training in the prevention and treatment of poisoning.
As part of PCDI unit’s role in Toxicovigilance application, we are constantly working on the advice and guidance submission, and actively participation in the development, implementation, and evaluation of measures for the prevention of poisoning.
In association with other responsible bodies, we also play an important role in:
Developing contingency plans concerning the surveillance, preparedness and response for chemical disasters,
Monitoring the adverse effects of drugs and
Handling problems of substance abuse.
If you need any help, contact us on the Emergency line: 1800-500-000
Our long-term vision is:
- To be recognized as the lead agency in Palestine for the provision of poison prevention services, clinical toxicology education, consultations on the management of poisoning emergencies, and as the source of evidence-based poisoning treatment guidelines.
- To work in collaboration with hospitals, public health, educational programs, and other government agencies to decrease the adverse effects of poisonings in Palestine while reducing health care costs.
Our mission is to prevent and minimize adverse health effects from exposure to poisons through education, service, and research.
Another avenue is to provide drug information to health care professionals.
Our core values stand in our name (PCDI):
We provide our services and advices in a reliable, respectful, and competent manner, and by being a compassionate, thoughtful and considerate problem-solver will make a big difference.
We are committed to the highest standards of moral, ethical, and professional conduct in serving our country, our community, and everyone asks for help.
We are devoted in increasing the public awareness for the surrounding toxins, through our professional best practices that uphold transparency in enhancing the quality of life of the community.
We maintain the patients’ confidentiality and build trust with them; through submitting the solution-focused support that will exceed your expectations